Monday, May 20, 2019

Tornado Alley - The Paducah Tornadoes: A Particularly Disappointing Situation

Wichita Falls, TX

Last night in Elk City, before we found bedbugs in our room, I decided to crawl into bed and watch the season finale of Game of Thrones while the rest of the group watched Twister in another room. Little did I know, I was being eaten alive the whole time! I have a series of very itchy bites on the right side of my upper leg/butt area. Awesome.

Once we got into our new room, I didn't sleep well. Besides being paranoid about more bedbugs, I would wake up and check the radar every hour or so because I knew there were severe storms firing up early and wanted to keep an eye on them. 

Today was forecast to be a PDS - A "Particularly Dangerous Situation." The Storm Prediction Center issued a "high risk" for severe storms and a 45% tornado probability. This type of setup was very rare... Though, only time will tell if Mother Nature would live up to the hype. 





















I'm generally never in a good mood in the morning.. But something stirred me from usual morning grumpiness. As I was pondering what kind of gas station food will sustain me for the day, a cashier came up to me with a worried look on her face, "My son is by himself in a trailer. Should I go get him?" "Yes," I say, "Yes you should. No one should be in a trailer right now."

I was suddenly brought out of my head and into the present. There was a lot of tension in the air. My mom was even worried about me because there was so much hype in the news. 

At one point there was a mother and son following us in their old car and they actually had to get jumped while waiting with us at a gas station. I not so subtly told them they shouldn't be following us but they wouldn't listen and got a bit defensive about it. Eventually we lost them; I have no idea when or where. 

Despite the anticipation, all we saw were two little skinny tornadoes near Paducah, TX. We missed the one near Mangum, OK because of bad road networks and massive chaser traffic. The visibility was quite bad. It was very hazy out so there wasn't a lot of contrast.

Some photos of us in Paducah, TX. 



















This day was definitely a PDS: A Particularly Disappointing Situation.

Here is video of the Mangum, OK tornado


On a side note, I noticed something cool while on the road. In Brayden and Allen's truck (Storm Wagon), the ham radio is very sensitive and generates a lot of noise. What's cool about this is that it picks up lightning strikes in the clouds! This is a known phenomenon, but I have never witnessed it. 

I caught some of it on video.



We had dinner at a Sonic in Seymour before going out to chase some more. Despite it being an anticlimactic day for us, there were still dangerous storms heading towards a few small towns -big rain-wrapped monsters. Nothing but embedded circulation. I wasn't too keen on chasing something that wasn't even going to be visible, but it wasn't my call to make. 

























I don't remember much after this because I napped in the back seat until we decided to call it and spend the night in Wichita Falls. 


No comments:

Post a Comment