Thursday, May 9, 2019

Tornado Alley - McDonald's Chaser Convergence

Wharton, TX

Today's initiation will be quite late. We travel further south, down to Navasota, TX, where we have a brief nap in the parking lot of a Dairy Queen.




 The Jeep is actually quite roomy. 




Some cells eventually pop up, so we go south-west, towards Brenham. As the evening wears on though, they quickly congeal into a mess. We soon realize that we aren't alone. Daniel Shaw pops up on the ham radio. George tells him that I am chasing with them, so Daniel tracks my Spotter Network dot, since I am the only one who has one. We eventually all meet up and have dinner at Mcdonald's in Hungerford. 

I had met Daniel in passing, but I had never spent a lot of time with him. He works super hard and does everything all on his own. I admire his energy and dedication. To say he talks a lot is an understatement. A conversation with Daniel is an experience. It's not really something you participate in - it's something that happens to you. It's like trying to take a sip of water out of firehose blasting in your face. Now I know how George felt that first night when I arrived and couldn't stop talking... 



At one point, the lights flicker. Something knocks out the power, perhaps lightning, and the backup generators kick in. Even though we are no longer chasing, there are severe storms all around us. 



Had to get a pic with Dan.




Group shot.



Today ended in Wharton, TX. 

Total Distance Traveled: 423km.



No comments:

Post a Comment